Wednesday, September 12, 2012

On Building a Platform


If you’re writing with the intention of selling your work, you’ve no doubt run across magazines, blogs and tweets for authors, by authors (or by someone who would like to sell something to an author) talking about the importance of having a platform.

Building a platform is especially important for self published authors since it serves as a marketing department as well as a “backstage pass” for your readers; a conduit to your mind in case anyone’s interested. The most touted venues like Facebook, Twitter, Google+, MySpace (just kidding), Tumblr, etc. all have a common thread running through them. Their very fabric is social.

I, however, am not social. Not even close. I score damn near off the charts as an introvert. Crowds, even virtual ones, crack my dilithium crystals.

If a viable alternative exists to having a social infrastructure as a platform, I’m unaware of it. So I’ll do what I can. My plan of action involves narrowing my focus to do one or two things well instead of blindly signing up for things I don’t “get” (I’m looking at you Pinterest) just because they’re popular.

As I’ve mentioned in a previous post, I’m on Twitter regularly, as it seems to suit me best, what with the inherent limit on communication length and all. It also allows me the illusion of anonymity, in that I can post something and it’s immediately swept away by the gazillion other tweets in the timeline.

In the meantime, if any of you are introverted independent authors, how do you handle the whole platform thing? Feel free to let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment